Okay, I feel awful because I was actually awarded the Liebster Blog Award when I first started my blog by the wonderful Sydney from Words About Words, but somehow got caught up in work and completely forgot to share! Luckily, I was just tagged again by the awesome Grad Student from Young Adult Fiction & Whiskey Sours and it reminded me. Thank you both! This award is for new bloggers with less than 200 followers.
"Award winners share 11 facts about themselves, answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who tagged them, come up with 11 of their own questions and tag 11 more bloggers with the award." (Description from YA Fiction & Whiskey Sours)
I tried finding the originator of the Liebster Blog Award to link back but it's a total dead end. I have no idea where it came from, which is actually sort of cool, so if anyone knows do let me know.
My questions, my facts and my nominees after the break!
1. Do you ever skip to the end of a book?
Never! I'm strongly against skipping (though I definitely tend to skim a few pages ahead) because I don't like spoilers! Especially when it comes to big events like a character's death. It totally ruins the emotional impact for me.
2. What is the book you are most proud of having read?
All of the Lord of the Rings books, because they're so long. I read every single ballad and battle.
3. What is the book you are most embarrassed of having read?
Probably The Clique by Lisi Harrison. But to be honest, I'm never that embarrassed of having read something because I always try to give books a chance, especially if they're considered stupid/embarrassing! I won't make fun of something if I haven't tried it.
4. Where is your favorite spot to relax?
5. What is your favorite movie?
I don't have a favorite, but I love The Lord of the Rings, Stand By Me, Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightley version), Cube, The Breakfast Club, The Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story, 3:10 to Yuma, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Mean Girls, Bourne movies, Remember the Titans, Memento, LOL (french one), My Girl, The Usual Suspects, Atonement, Amadeus and most Disney/Pixar movies. Oh, and The Swan Princess. :)
I'm not very picky.
6. Team Edward or Team Jacob?
Team Edward. I know Jacob is a lot more down-to-earth and behaves in more socially acceptable ways (relatively. don't know if trespassing/stalking beats imprinting on toddlers), but I was never a big fan.
7. If you could name a pet after a character in a book, who would it be?
Pantalaimon from the His Dark Materials trilogy.
8. What was the last book that kept you up way too late reading?
Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta, a few nights ago! Still can't get over how good it was.
9. Do you have any books signed by the author?
Yes I do! Both by authors who came to my school. I have The Book Thief signed by Markus Zusak, who is actually hilarious and writes the longest autographs! He even drew a stick figure! I also have Stormbreaker signed by Anthony Horowitz, who was pretty eccentric but a really nice guy.
I also have a copy of Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve that I bought at a second-hand bookstore in Camden Market in London that turned out to be signed! Who knows if it's real though, because it was written in pencil, haha.
I can't wait to go to more book signings in London! They always seem to conflict with my schedule though.
10. How did you decide on what to call your blog?
(Regurgitated from my About Me) I'd love to say that I was a huge fan of owls (or heads), but I'm really not. I have a weird sense of humor and I thought 'The Headless Owl' was just dark enough for my tastes while still being sort of cute. If you can't tell, the owl in my header is in fact headless and holding his own head.
Owls are also commonly associated with books/learning, so I thought it worked out!
11. Do you follow any blogs religiously that AREN'T about books?
My sis Kylie from A Cloud House is a photographer who takes amazing photos and writes wonderful, lyrical entries! She also takes amazing levitation photos. Aside from her blog, I occasionally frequent Mormon Mommy blogs! They're so addictive, even though at 19 I can't really relate. Rockstar Diaries is a great example.
11 Facts about Me:
- My favorite food is eggs.
- I don't like it when people wear socks in my bed or shoes in the house.
- I've lived in 4 countries and 6 cities.
- I'm a fast typer! I can type more than 100 wpm.
- I'm also a pretty fast reader.
- When I was about 3 I would watch The Jungle Book on repeat for hours. Now I can't stand it.
- I am notorious for annoying people when I lend them books. You know in movies when the kids are in the backseat and won't stop asking the parents when they'll get there? That's me, except with books, checking to see if you've finished yet.
- When I was 12 I read Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld and was so scandalized by some of the content that I ripped out the offending pages and threw them away in a public trash can so that my parents wouldn't see.
- My least favorite book is Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson.
- I have a bad habit of swinging my arm too much when I walk.
- A big part of the reason why I started blogging has to do with my experience at The Hunger Games European premiere in March. Might do a post on it one day.
My questions to my nominees:
- If you could meet any living author, who would you choose and why?
- Why Young Adult?
- What is your favorite bookstore or library and why?
- Rank the last 5 books you read from most enjoyed to least enjoyed.
- What books made you love reading?
- Why and when did you start blogging?
- If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would you go and what book would you take?
- Describe your dream book.
- What's your favorite book cover(s)?
- What is your favorite food?
- Are you a city person or a country person?
Passing the award on to:
Thanks for the tag, Sydney and Grad Student! This past month has been amazing! I've loved getting to know other bloggers, including the ones mentioned above. I think I may have missed some other eligible blogs I follow so let me know if there's anyone else you think should be nominated! Have a great week everyone!