Tuesday 14 August 2012

Review: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Rating: 4/5 dragon heads
Release date: 10 July 2012
Publisher: Random House, 467 pgs
Goodreads | The Book Depository
Amazon UK | Amazon US

Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.





A quick preliminary scan of Seraphina revealed words like quigutl and pygegyria and houppelande, words just intimidating enough to make me want to put off my reading and seek something lighter. And I did put it off. It admittedly took me a few tries to really get into this book, but once I plowed through the first few chapters, Seraphina's story unfolded as naturally and effortlessly as a saar taking flight.

Of course, no book is without its imperfections. For me, Seraphina is a book of contradictions. Take the writing. It's beautiful and surprisingly introspective, and has an addictive quality to it that made me stop to re-read and savor the words. Yet this also made the plot feel a tad slow, and left scenes which were supposed to be suspenseful and action-packed feeling a bit flat.

I felt the same about the world-building. So much detail is given regarding Goredd and dragon (saar) culture, all of which I found fascinating and, quite frankly, impressive. Everything from saar history and politics to daily scale maintenance is touched upon. And it all made sense. The world Hartman has created is the perfect blend of reality and fantasy; drawing on so many cultures and time periods that I couldn't pin it on just one time or place. They meshed together to create a world totally unique and just the slightest bit off-kilter (in the best way).

Yet for all the amazing world-building, some of the important plotlines suffered from under-development. Seraphina's confusion and self-loathing as a half-breed is a huge part of the book. She connects mentally with others like her, all of whom exhibit supernatural gifts, through her mental 'garden'. Why half-breeds have these gifts, when there's no mention of dragons or humans possessing them, is barely touched upon, which was strange but easily forgiven given the sequel.

I realize I've focused on the negative in this review, but at this stage I'm really just nitpicking. Seraphina was a unique, refreshing, well-written read. If you're a fantasy lover, you owe it to yourself to experience the amazing world of dragons and humans and quigutl. I would add, though, that a part of me isn't sure whether I really liked this book in the sense that I was entertained or fell in love with the characters. A part of me feels that most of my good impression has more to do with being impressed or objectively appreciative of its artistic merit. I think a lack of true connection with the book prevents me from giving it a final star, but a re-reading might change that.

Pick this one up! The gorgeous cover alone should tempt you.

All in Ard,

The Headless Owl

17 comments:

  1. Ever since I encountered the name "Seraphina", I've always loved it. In fact, a character of mine is named Seraphina. It sounds so mysterious and magical, perfect for this book I presume.

    Your review reminds me of my own about Eon by Alison Goodman. Like this, it's a high fantasy that involves dragons. While I felt that the world-building was well-founded, it did slow down the pace. But after I trudged through with it, I fell in love with the book completely. I definitely recommend it if you are still high on fantasy =D

    Great review, Lauren :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the name Seraphina too! Also, I didn't realize you write! Just saw an excerpt on your blog and it's wonderful; going to read the whole chapter. :)

      I have Eon but haven't read it. I've heard such good things though. I think I'm going to read some contemporary to clear my mind a bit but I'm definitely looking forward to starting it! Thanks for reading, Gellie!

      Delete
  2. I am so so SO excited to read Seraphina, and I kind of love that you can love it despite feeling it's imperfect. WONDERFUL review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I really hope you like it! It's definitely a refreshing change from the YA I've read recently. Rachel Hartman is an incredible writer.

      Delete
  3. Well written. I have this one of my wish list and downloaded a sample, but have yet to read it. I think I would definitely have trouble stumbling over the odd woords in the book, but I do know what a houppelande is, so I've got that going for me.
    Your review does give me pause, though. There are some books that I just know and I have to have them and I'm usually right about those books. But this is one it seems I will have to think on before I commit. I have too many things to read to spend time reading something mediocre or a pretty good read.
    I will reserve judgement, though until after I read the sample and then I'll see how I feel.
    Thanks for the review!
    Tammy @ http://bosbooknook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely read the sample before buying this! I can definitely see some people not enjoying it; it's pretty slow and takes a while to get into. I found it enjoyable but not unputdownable, if that makes any sense. I hope you like it if you decide to go for it! Thanks for reading, Tammy!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this book, but I've heard some great things about this book! But the fact that you say it's slow makes me wary, because I like my books to be fast-paced. Anyway, I really should give this a try because I love fantasy. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seraphina is definitely a slow burner! I hope you enjoy it if you pick it up, though. The writing is so gorgeous. Thanks for reading, Kim!

      Delete
  5. "They meshed together to create a world totally unique and just the slightest bit off-kilter." So true. It reminded me of the Middle Ages, Jane Austen, and Germany LOL. Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh YES! I kept trying to pin it on a certain time/place and just couldn't. The Germany influences were quite strong though, and it definitely felt European. But at times the little quigutl inventions felt almost steampunk. Such an interesting mix. Thanks for reading, Jessica! I'll go check out your Seraphina review. :)

      Delete
  6. Great review! I actually just started reading Seraphina last night. I think I'm in the "hard to get into beginning" part right now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! Seraphina definitely wasn't the kind of book that I felt I HAD to finish or couldn't put down, but it definitely picked up in the middle. I hope it does for you too!

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to read this! I really like your review. World-building can walk a fine line for me sometimes, too!

    PS have you seen the book trailer for this? GO TO YOUTUBE. It is awesomely cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grad Student! And ohh my gosh, I hadn't seen that but it's hilarious!!! And doesn't fit the tone of Seraphina at all! It looks like someone colored in that tree to make the cracks red, hahaha. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, really awesome and honest review! I've only read super positive reviews, so I'm really grateful for these different opinions! <3 Man, those words would've intimidated me SO much as well, and too bad some things fell flat. Still, I do find the premise rather intriguing..might still check it out! Thanks for the great review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Vivian! Definitely give it a chance if you have time; it's a really interesting read! And such a cool take on dragons. Probably some of my favorite dragons ever (not that I've read many dragon books). Let me know if you do! :)

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed Seraphina! I did find it a bit slow to start and was extremely confused at the beginning, I kept trying to place the time period, but couldn't.. I did really fall in love with some of the characters though! I'm glad I gave it a chance becuase I really love the dragons.

    As for not understanding why the halfbreeds have powers and whatnot, I'm just going to sit around and wait for the second book. Nobody even really knew the halfbreeds existed, so of course there's not really any information on them ;) Maybe Seraphina will learn some more while she is looking for everyone..

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting other bloggers and readers, so let me know what you think! I try to always reply to comments, either directly or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...