Friday 10 August 2012

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Rating: 3.5/5 very sad owl heads
Release date: 2 Aug 2012 (UK), 8 Aug 2012 (US)
Publisher: Bloomsbury, 404 pgs

Goodreads | Amazon UK | The Book Depository

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?


(Summary from Goodreads)



This is a hard review to write. Let me start off by saying that Throne of Glass was one of my highly anticipated reads of 2012. I was hooked on the novellas before I even started blogging, and I made sure to make it my first Waiting on Wednesday. As you can imagine, I was positive I would love this. The last thing I expected was to have to write that, honestly? I was a bit disappointed. It's possible that over-hyping ruined the experience for me, as it has countless times, because a lot of what I loved about the novellas was here in abundance.

Celaena is such a complicated, aggravating, entertaining character. She's astoundingly arrogant in a way that comes from knowing you're the best, and being told so day after day, yet she's sensitive and girly and selfish in a way that only teenage girls can be. The love interests in ToG are worthy of such a complex character. It would have undermined Celaena's character to have her turn lovesick and obsessed, especially in the middle of what is supposed to be a cutthroat competition, and Maas clearly knew where to draw the line. She writes a romance (if you can even call it that) that is subtle and sweet. Both Chaol and Dorian are well-developed - a bit predictably, maybe, but it's there. Equally important, they represent two very different futures and relationships, presenting Celaena with exactly the kind of dilemma that I hope for in a love triangle.

And Rifthold, with its crowded streets and garish glass castle, is easy to imagine. There's a perfect balance between magic and technology; a blurring of our world and some other-world that feels completely natural. Like the glass castle itself; an architectural marvel built on a foundation of rock and stone, with magic in its roots. Like the contrast between the clock tower that sits in the courtyard and the mythical gargoyles that surround it.

I loved all these things. What I found lacking was the plot itself. The epic-sounding competition to become King's Champion was pretty underwhelming; consisting of a series of tasks that were about as thrilling as the tasks faced by Harry Potter and crew at the end of the Philosopher's Stone - except these are assassins, not 12-year-olds, and I didn't feel the suspense that I expected to feel. I began to hope the action was going to be psychological; surrounding the gruesome murders of the competitors and solving the mystery behind the killer, but this, too, wasn't as engaging as I thought it would be. A lot is solved through dreams and vague mythology, the workings of which I don't think I ever got a feel for. Even juicy court scandals and politics would have been enough to satisfy me, given that the novel takes place almost entirely in the castle, but that, too, felt weak. There was a dash of everything I wanted, but none of it felt developed enough to really hold my attention.

Throne of Glass just didn't come together for me. As I mentioned, a part of this may be because of my own over-hyping, so keep in mind that this review is very circumstantial. Because I was totally engrossed in the novellas, I got a bit caught up in the comparisons game - even the love interests took me a few chapters to warm up to because I still felt loyal to Sam from the novellas. Having said all that, I don't consider a 3.5 a bad rating at all, and I would still absolutely recommend this. I've seen what Maas is capable of, I've loved her stories, and I've already fallen in love the world she's created, so I hope you do too. Will I be reading the sequel? Absolutely. Unfortunately, the excitement I've felt and enjoyed these past few months has dimmed.



Side note: UK or US cover (below)? I seem to be in the minority in that I prefer the US one, though the UK cover is definitely more badass.


18 comments:

  1. No, Lauren, say it isn't so! *sobs* I've been waiting for this book for ages. *more sobs* I'm sorry to hear it didn't meet your expectations. But I think I might be able to enjoy this novel more than you did because I haven't read the novellas yet. *fingers crossed*

    Thank you for your honest review, Lauren :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I really hope you do! And actually, I think you'll love it, especially if you haven't read the novellas. I just tend to get way too attached to certain characters and plot lines and so ToG felt more like a sequel to the novellas than a debut novel in its own right. I think if I hadn't read them I would have been able to appreciate ToG so much more!

      ^ and there it is - what I was trying to say in my review but couldn't find a way to. Why does this always happen? I really do hope you like it, Gellie! Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the novellas or the book itself, but I was really looking forward to read them lol. I'll definitely make sure to read the book first. Wonderful review, L! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it, A! Yes, if I had to do it over again I would probably wait for the book to release!

      Delete
  3. I just finished ToG last night and, personally loved it. I haven't read the novellas *yet*. I totally get what you're saying though. I've been eagerly awaiting it too, and following the hype. After all that hype, sometimes it makes books harder to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, Sam! And yes, I totally fell into the overhyping trap with this one! It gets to me way too often.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sad that you found this one disappointing. I try not to hype myself up. Even books I'm super jazzed about, I keep on my shelf for a few days or weeks so that i can calm down (of course, this is why so many of my books are unread). Personally, I loved this one and both love interests, but I haven't read the novellas... I plan to, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, that's a great habit that I need to get into! I've hampered my reading experience way too many times by getting too excited/expectant. I'm glad you like it though, and I hope you like the novellas! The last one left me a complete emotional wreck.

      Delete
  5. Hmm, I've been pretty excited for this, so I may have the same feeling re hype and letdown.

    I did read in an interview that the author had to split the first book into two. I believe she took out some storylines, so maybe that's why the plot was a bit flat?

    I personally prefer the UK cover. The girl on the US cover doesn't look bad ass enough to me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would explain it! I hope you enjoy it, though! I'll look out for your review or rating. :) And I know what you mean about the UK cover; definitely more epic. I don't know why I prefer the US one! I think it's the colors that I prefer, rather than the model.

      Delete
  6. Great, honest review, hun! You're not the only one to feel this way, though I'm sure it feels like it. I have read a few reviews from people who were disappointed and while I don't think this book is for me, I might still give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I think this is one of my only negative reviews so far and they're definitely not fun to write. I hope you like it if you do decide to go for it!

      Delete
  7. UGH. THANK YOU.

    "I loved all these things. What I found lacking was the plot itself."

    Points at it with a big-ass freaking sign and flashing neon lights.

    I LIKED the characters. I LOVED the world. The plot? WHERE?
    I've never been able to nail down the feeling that I wanted more from this book, and you've GOT it.

    I was so excited for this one, and it's my biggest dissapointment of the year so far. Not because it's bad--it's not--but it missed my expectations by so much, and THAT was my problem. COMPLETELY the wrong expectations. I expected EPIC fantasy. It's not EPIC. It's HIGH, and a cinderella spin. I wish I'd known that going in.

    And for the story? US cover, definitely. The UK cover is badass, but doesn't fit the book as well. I only wish it did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, ToG has been my biggest disappointment as well, and I so wish it wasn't. I totally agree with your comment about expecting epic fantasy; I hadn't thought about that and it's so true. ToG just felt so safe; there was nothing 'epic' about it, and the Celaena of this book doesn't reflect the girl on the UK cover.

      And if I hadn't been expecting these things, I definitely would have enjoyed it much more! In any case, I'll still be reading the sequel in hopes that it picks up. I just want Celaena to get out of the castle already! Thanks for reading, Sarah. :)

      Delete
  8. Awww, boo! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Throne of Glass as much as you had hoped. I personally loved it, but didn't go in expecting to be blown away. I also didn't read the novellas, though I want to now.

    I do agree with everything you pointed out, though there is just something undeniably special about Throne of Glass that captivated me. I am VERY interested to see what happens in the next book and must admit to being thrilled that this series is slated for SIX books!

    I'm interested to hear what you'll think of the next one. I hope you'll enjoy it more than you did the first :-) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Katie!! I'm glad you liked it more than I did! I'm quite confident that it'll pick up again for me - six books is a lot! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I didn't realize there were going to be so many and that has me really hopeful. :) I've loved reading about Celaena's adventures so my fingers are definitely crossed for the next one.

      Delete
  9. I'm still excited to read this one..lol I haven't read the novellas, so hopefully I'll enjoy it more because of that. I also haven't read much in terms of fantasy lately..lol I will say however that this is the only book I've ever pre-ordered (the UK version to boot, since I prefer the cover)

    Also, just noticed above, six books??? I hope I really enjoy it so I'll have lots of amazingness to wait for!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, I'm sorry that you were disappointed by this one, Lauren. As always, awesome review. They are always so detailed.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting other bloggers and readers, so let me know what you think! I try to always reply to comments, either directly or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...