Wednesday 15 August 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (7)


Waiting on Wednesday is a book meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine where we showcase books we're highly anticipating.


I missed Waiting on Wednesday last week, so I've chosen three books that I'm waiting on today! Titles go to Goodreads, names go to the author's website. 




Release date: 9 October 2012
Coming from: Hyperion Book CH (384 pgs)

FATE:

Is it written in the stars from the moment we are born?

Or is it a bendable thing that we can shape with our own hands?

Jepp of Astraveld needs to know.

He left his countryside home on the empty promise of a stranger, only to become a captive in a strange and luxurious prison: Coudenberg Palace, the royal court of the Spanish Infanta. Nobody warned Jepp that as a court dwarf, daily injustices would become his seemingly unshakeable fate. If the humiliations were his alone, perhaps he could endure them, but it breaks Jepp’s heart to see his friend Lia suffer.

After Jepp and Lia perform a daring escape from the palace, Jepp is imprisoned again, alone in a cage. Now, spirited across Europe by a kidnapper in a horse-drawn carriage, Jepp is unsure where his unfortunate stars may lead him.

Before Jepp can become the master of his own destiny, he will need to prove himself to a brilliant and eccentric new master—a man devoted to uncovering the secrets of the stars—earn the love of a girl brave and true, and unearth the long-buried secrets of his parentage. And he will find that beneath the breathtaking cruelty of the world is something else: the persistence of human kindness.




Release date: 2013, from Delacorte Press

RED is set in a small town where the redness of your hair is directly tied to your social standing, until the coolest and reddest girl in school is blackmailed on the eve of the Miss Scarlet pageant.




Release date: 2013, from Dial 

... pitched as “Gone with the Nuclear Wind". It is supposed to be a cross between "Gone with the Wind" and "Mansfield Park", but set into the future 200 years from now. According to the author's blog the "crux of the plot centers around nuclear technology".

... is set in a world ruled by the lavish Gentry, who force a people called the Rootless to handle the nuclear material that powers their large estates. When a Gentry girl is attacked, sixteen-year-old Madeline Landry can't escape the rumors of revolution and retribution circulating through the ballrooms--and the city's new golden boy David is at the middle of them. Soon, she finds herself forced to choose between her duty and her desires, her ancestral destiny and her conscience.




Jepp, Who Defied the Stars sounds like it's going to be so fun and different! I've also never read a book from the perspective of a dwarf (I guess hobbits don't count?), and I really can't wait.

Red has me hooked from that sentence alone! I'm anxiously stalking this one! I have such high hopes for the cover, and I LOVE that the author's last name is Cherry. So much potential for awesomeness here!

While not the official summary (it was taken from Goodreads, as were the others), Landry Park's description has me really excited. It kind of reminds me of Diana Peterfreund's For Darkness Show the Stars, which I loved, so I'll definitely be on the lookout for more information!

What are you waiting on this Wednesday? Link me because I'd love to see!


29 comments:

  1. This sounds very different from what I read...but somewhat interesting. Not my type of book..but thanks for sharing! LOL ;p

    My WoW post! 

    Btw...I'm a new follower! :)

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
  2. The books sounds interesting. Great pick. I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it.
    Come check out my WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I haven't heard anything about Jepp who defied the starts but it sounds awesome :O ! And this cover is stunning !!!
    I'm going to add it right now on my goodreads wishlist.
    Thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice haul, Lauren :D

    Jepp, Who Defied the Stars sounds promising! I love a good fairy tale-esque story =))

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Nice picks!!!! I really liked the idea of Red! I always wanted red hair, it will be interesting to see how the blackmailing works out. Jepp sounds like an epic tale, i never heard of it before, but now i really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jepp, Who Defied the Stars sounds really cool. I might be most excited about it being set in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Landry Park sounds promising as I loved Gone With the Wind and Mansfield Park. Great picks! :)

    My Wow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jepp, Who Defied the Stars looks really cool. I love fantasy and dwarves :) Nice picks this week!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not usually into fantasy books with historical backdrops but Jepp, Who Defied the Star does sounds like a very interesting read. I love the sound of RED! OMG! Just the sentence alone indeed had me hooked up too! Gotta add it on my tbr! Thanks for sharing this, Lauren! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome choice! This one actually sounds pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a great choices! I haven't heard of Jepp before, but I'll check it out ^^

    My WoW pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jepp, Who Defied the Stars sounds amazing!! And then Red sounds pretty too. However the third one I tuned out at the mention of "Mansfield Park" unfortunately.

    However really great picks!

    Here's my WoW.

    Livvy @Nerdy Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jepp, Who Defied the Stars, definitely sounds like something different, and the fact that he's a dwarf caught my eye. Just that alone will have me reading it. The synopsis of Red has me totall hooked, and Landry Park sounds more than interesting. Wonderful picks, L! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so rare to find this kind of protagonist in young adult fiction. And Spanish court? So cool. I'm glad you like the sound of them, A!

      Delete
  14. Oh my gosh! What great picks, Lauren! Jepp, Who Defied the Stars sounds right up my alley. How unique! I love discovering truly amazing books through these WoW posts :-)

    Thanks for sharing your Wish List! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the sound of it, Katie! I totally agree! I've found soo many great books and blogs from Waiting on Wednesday, I would miss it so much if it was gone.

      Delete
  15. Jepp Who Defied the Stars sounds incredibly unique! I'm a bit confused by the summary, but I think I'll add that one to my TBR. ;) Red looks awesome, I am TOTALLY adding that to my TBR!! The fact that the author's last name is Red is really kind of punny. ;)

    Fabulous picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, I know! Now I'm wondering if Alison Cherry is a natural redhead...how cool would that be? She was meant to write this book!

      Delete
  16. Jepp Who Defied the Stars is an awesome title. Great WoW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've read it?? I'm jealous! How did you find it, GS?

      Delete
  17. Fantasy is not my favorite but Red and Landry Park sound intriguing. I also loved For Darkness Shows the Stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad you liked it!! And yes, they sound so interesting, don't they? I can't wait for 2013!

      Delete
  18. You picked a great bunch this week, I think Red interests me the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Red sounds so interesting! There's not much info out on it yet but I think it'd make a great dark comedy if it was turned into a movie! I would totally watch that.

      Delete
  19. Haha, as a ginger, Red definitely has me interested.. lol

    Landry Park sounds interesting as well! Jepp, Who Defied the Stars does sound fairly unique! I've never read a book from the perspective of a dwarf either (Tyrion doesn't count :P)

    Great choices!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting other bloggers and readers, so let me know what you think! I try to always reply to comments, either directly or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...